TOP TEN SPIRITUAL GROWTH IDEAS FOR LENT 2021
1. Freedom: Acceptance of your shadow side leads to expanded freedom. It helps us to understand our true self and leads us towards the light. It reminds us that perfectionism is an illusion
2. Meditation: Since ancient times spiritual masters of all tradtions point to being in the present as a means of growth and spiritual development. Meditation or quiet prayer is the key that unlocks the door.
3. Letting Go: “Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding onto.” Socrates
4. Desire: We are made in the image of what we desire; this reminds us of the old adage; “you are what you eat.”
5. Love: Jesus said “for God so loved the world that he gave his only son.” Gospel love (Agape) is always on the look out on how to give; how to bless others.
6. Mystery: In the end, only those things that are endowed with mystery are worthy of love. The more we know and love others, the more of a mystery they become to us.
7. Courage: True courage rests in the courage to be ones self.
8.Religion: “Religion runs in our veins.” -Nelson Mandela (referring to South Africans)
9. Laughter: Mystics and comedians work towards making that world a better place...a lighter place.
10. Action: “My mother would say: ‘don’t sit around and complain about things. Do something.’ So I did something.” -Kamala Harris
These reflections are meant to stimulate healthy questioning and contemplation. They do not necessarily reflect my own beliefs.
Sources: Martin R. Lemieux, Eckhart Tolle Ramana Maharshi, Thomas Merton, Hans Urs von Balthasar, Nelson Mandela, Ruth Wisse, Kamala Harris, catechisms, world religions, popular sayings etc, simplified, reworked, and paraphrased. Only word-for-word quotes will have the source given.